Here’s a recipe so you can make these yummy treats at home. It’s so easy to do but beware, it can get messy.
What You Will Need:
- 3 cups sugar
- Yellow food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 13 x 9inch baking pan
- 1 package of unflavored gelatin
What You Will Need to do:
1. Pour 2 cups of sugar into a plastic bag. Add a few drops of yellow food colouring to the sugar. Massage the contents in the bag together, while adding extra food colouring, if necessary. Using a plastic bag seems to be the easiest way to mix these ingredients together well.
2. Combine the gelatin and 5 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl and stir. After the contents of the bowl are completely mixed.
3. Line a 13 x 9inch baking pan with plastic wrap, oil and then dust the bottom and sides with some of the sugar mixture you made in step 1.
4. Next, mix 1 cup of sugar and 4 tablespoons of cold water into a saucepan and slowly bring to a boil. I can’t stress the slowly part enough as it’s so easy to burn the sugar.
5. After, remove the pan from the heat and add the gelatin to the contents in the saucepan. Stir the gelatin into the saucepan slowly to avoid lumps.
6. Once the gelatin is just warm, pour the contents in the saucepan into a bowl and then use an electric mixer to mix. When the contents have become a whitish colour, add the vanilla, 3-5 drops of the food colouring and continuing mixing until the candy is stiff.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared, plastic wrap pan. Even out the top and then sprinkle the sugar mixture that you made in step 1 over the mixture. Let the pan stand at room temperature until dry. Don’t be surprised if this takes a couple of hours.
8. When ready to cut, place contents of the pan onto a cutting board.
9. Now take either a chick or bunny cookie cutter and cut out your Peeps.
10. Melt roughly 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips in the microwave and then use a toothpick to make eyes for your Peeps.